MOTION sickness for kids most commonly occurs when the child is seated in the back seat of a vehicle looking down at something like a coloring book.
Just as in adults, they can sense the motion with their inner ear, but the nerve extremities and eyes cannot. It typically occurs in children aged between 2 and 12 years. The good thing is that kids usually outgrow motion sickness as they get older.
Motion sickness can happen as a result of any kind of movement. Generally people tend to suffer from sickness on a moving train, boat, car, airplane, or on an amusement park ride. It happens when the brain receives conflicting signals from various parts of the body after sensing motion – such as the eyes, inner ear, and the nerves along the extremities. When the signals are not consistent with each other, the brain activates a response that causes children to get nauseous.
How Motion Sickness in Children can be avoided?
- They shouldn’t travel on a full stomach. Avoid feeding your kids spicy or greasy foods before travelling. Instead, offer them a snack such as pretzels or crackers and something to drink.
- Avoid Frequent Stops. If you have to stop, ensure your kid comes out of the car and walks around.
- Allow them to look out the window. This means they shouldn’t color, read, or watch anything on a video screen. Instead try to sing songs, talk, or play a car game. This can keep them looking out so their eyes are ears are both sensing the same motion.
- Have a Reasonable Temperature in the Car. Being too cold or too hot can make anybody sick. Have it in mind that the temperature at the front of the car might not be the same as that in the back, particularly if you have turned off the back vents.
- Avoid looking at the Sun. Make use of shades that can be attached to the windows to keep the sun out. During the summer however, get them some shades and open the window for some ventilation.
- Medications. Yes, it is possible to get motion sickness medicine for kids. Speak to our expert team for advice on the right treatment for your child.
Signs and Symptoms of Motion Sickness
- The symptoms often begin with stomach upset. Loss of appetite, cold sweats and loss of energy may follow. At times, this can progress into vomiting.
- A young child may not be able to describe how they feel, but will demonstrate by turning squirmy and pale, and then crying and yawning.
What to do?
When motion sickness in children happens, don’t panic, your trip isn’t ruined. This sickness usually stops when the motion does. The first thing to do is to immediately stop whatever motion that is causing the sickness. If you’re driving in your car and your child gets ill, stop as soon as possible and let them walk around. If you’re embarking on a long trip, it may be necessary to have frequent stops.
Nile Compounding Chemist specialises in the treatment of travel sickness. We know far too well that once the dreaded symptoms of travel sickness kicks in it’s too late to do anything about it unfortunately. That’s why our treatments focus on preventing you from feeling sick so you can get on with your life and do what you love most!
Treatment options exist for both adults and children and covers all forms of motion sickness including; diving, fishing, cruises, planes, trains, amusement rides and much more. Medication for the prevention of travel sickness is available from our pharmacy over the counter and does not need a doctor’s prescription. Our travel sickness specialist pharmacists will ascertain the suitability of treatment for you by taking into account any medical conditions or allergies you suffer from in addition to any medications you are using. It’s quick and simple and even gets delivered straight to your door or work all around Australia.
Today there are various sea and motion sickness treatment’s available on the market. For many people however, the side effects of certain over the counter medicines is intolerable not to mention the fact that they may not be effective for certain individuals. That’s why expert advice from our friendly pharmacists, can ensure you get the right treatment and escape travel sickness today!
At Nile Compounding, we have been through the horrible experience of feeling sick out at sea and therefore have dedicated our efforts in specialising in the treatment of travel sickness and bringing people evidence based treatment options that meet all of their needs.
- Contains ingredients with proven effectiveness
- Reduces unwanted drowsiness
- Lactose Free
- Gluten Free
- Available without a doctor’s prescription
- Australia wide express delivery
- Treatment for adults and children
Motion sickness might be absolutely unpleasant, but it’s not life threatening and does not need to limit your opportunities to travel or live life to the fullest.